Liz Cheney launches new ad attacking Trump, set to run in New Hampshire

May 10, 2023

Former Representative Liz Cheney (R-Wyoming) has launched a campaign ad in New Hampshire warning 2024 voters against backing former President Donald Trump, reports The Hill.

“Donald Trump has proven he is unfit for office. Donald Trump is a risk America can never take again,” Cheney says in a voiceover atop clips of Trump and the January 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Cheney, who was on the House select committee that probed January 6, knocked Trump for his actions around the 2020 election, which he lost to now-President Joe Biden.

“Donald Trump is the only president in American history who has refused to guarantee the peaceful transfer of power. He lost the election and he knew it. He betrayed millions of Americans by telling them the election was stolen. He ignored the rulings of dozens of courts,” she says in the video.

“Rather than accept his defeat, he mobilized a mob to come to Washington and march on the Capitol. Then, he watched on television while the mob attacked law enforcement, invaded the Capitol, and hunted the vice president,” Cheney says.

NBC News reports that the ad, titled “Risk” and released by her PAC, The Great Task, will air in New Hampshire around Trump’s planned on-air town hall on Wednesday, May 10.

Cheney also highlighted Trump’s delay in telling the rioters to leave—asserting that Trump “didn’t care” about warnings that his January 6 plans were illegal. “There has never been a greater dereliction of duty by any president,” she says.

After last year’s midterms, Trump announced that he’s running to reclaim the White House in 2024, and Cheney fueled speculation in late 2022 that she could get in the ring—but is yet to officially make an announcement.